Monday, February 9, 2009

What does Stimulus mean to us?

Washington DC has been abuzz with activity since the inauguration. The parties are over and the 'work' has begun. After a few high profile ball drops, taxes and confirmations, the President has focused the entire country on his stimulus package. But what does a stimulus package mean to the average African-American Staten Islander?

The truth is, not much of that money will ever hit Island streets. Our infrastructure, though not 100%, is not at the emergency needs level, since some of the school construction spending was cut, you can practically guarantee that Staten Island will be last on the list. Additionally, since the current bill does not address foreclosures, we won't see any relief there either.

Now, I know that there is a financial crisis across the country, I have heard the numbers just as you have, but I have yet to meet a single person that I know, that has lost their job, their home, or their life savings/pension. Maybe my circle is too small, or maybe my friends are too careful, but either way, I would like some feedback. If you know a Staten Island, African-American, that has been affected by the recent economic downturn in a severe way, let me know...don't use names, just their story.

No comments: